Short Bread

Short Bread

Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving and I brought the Salad

For the past few holidays, I have offered to bring the salad. Some might think this to be a boring choice, and if I went with the typical Caesar Salad, it just might be. But, I welcome the challenge of discovering new and delicious ways to throw a bunch of healthy veggies together. Over the years of making my own lunches, I've tried and been pretty successful at finding ways to make a salad interesting, fun, and exciting to eat. For this one, I used a recipe I found on Pinterest called Summer Veggie Slaw. After dinner my cousin asked, "What were the green leaves in there?" I responded, "Spinach!" She said she didn't think she even liked spinach and maybe I had helped to change her mind on that. 

Below are the vegetables I put in the salad. It's easy to mix it up, use what you have at home, or perhaps buy a new vegetable from the store that you might want to try. For many of the veggies, I simply use a potato peeler so they create long ribbons instead of chopping them. For some reason, this makes the salad new and exciting to eat. 

  • Yellow squash
  • Green zucchini
  • Red pepper strips
  • Carrots
  • Radish, sliced and cut into strips
  • Green onions finely chopped
  • Very fresh shucked corn or precooked (I used frozen sweet corn)
  • Torn spinach leaves
  • Served with Caesar dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment