Short Bread

Short Bread

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Crepes with (Door County) Jam

While being pregnant I haven't had too bazaar of food cravings. The things to top my list of cravings are pancakes, donuts, lemonade, fruit, and milk. I must say, I've become very good at making pancakes. I'm excited to use this developed culinary skill and have visions I will make feasts of pancakes with our little girl on the weekends. Once she is old enough of course. 

Two weekends ago, my mother and I took a long weekend trip up to Door County for Mother's Day weekend. It was so nice to spend time with my mother as mother and daughter. Soon we will be mother, daughter, and granddaughter which is so exciting; but this was the last time it would just be mother and daughter and we wanted to celebrate that. 

We were driving through the back country roads to see what shops and stores we could come across. We stumbled upon a shop called Koepsel's Farmers Market. Their store was stocked full of so many fun things and tons and tons of jam and jelly. They had little 3oz jars of different flavors so I bought a bunch so that I could try them all. Yum!!!

Once returning home, I thought of different ways I could use the jam besides just on an everyday PB&J or my morning English Muffins. I found a recipe for Crepes with Jam and that immediately piqued my interest. With my craving for pancakes and crepes being very similar, I thought what better treat to make for a Sunday morning. I found the main recipe off of the blog Julia's Album and made a few additions of my own. They turned out delicious! 


Crepes with (Door County) Jam





1 cups milk
1 1/3 cup flour
1 egg
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 pinches of kosher salt

Extra:
1-2 tbsp of your favorite jam/jelly
1 tbsp powdered sugar
Maple Syrup
Cut fresh berries: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc


Whisk all the ingredients together. Heat the frying pan until it is very hot and spray with oil spray. Use a soup ladle to pour the crepe mixture into the frying pan. Roll the pan from side to side so the mixture covers the bottom of the pan evenly with a thin layer of the batter. Let sit for a minute or two, then flip the crepe over using a spatula and cook on the other side for another minute or two. Once the crepe is golden brown, transfer it to a plate and put the plate in a 250 degree oven to keep warm.

Once all the crepes are made, take the warmed plate of crepes out of the oven. Spread some of your favorite jelly/jam over one crepe, fold once then fold again. Place this crepe on a new plate. Top with some powdered sugar, syrup, and berries. Enjoy!! You'll probably want more than one...I know I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment