Short Bread

Short Bread

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Fig Jam


Happy Mother’s Day!

Since my mother loved the Pistachio Shortbread cookies I made for her birthday, I thought I would make her some more Shortbread. I just wanted to try out another recipe. I had found a recipe for Rosemary Shortbread cookies that was simple enough. But, instead of Rosemary, I thought I would use lemon zest to give it a spring, sweet flavor. I had seen another recipe where they covered the cookie with fig jam. So I got some fig jam and lemon curd to put on top. This way mom has her choice. Either way tastes delicious! I think she’ll really enjoy them.


Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Fig Jam


1 ½ cups unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 teaspoon white sugar for decoration
2 tablespoon lemon zest for decoration

Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the flour, salt, lemon zest, lemon extract until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough and cut into triangles. Place on cookie sheet about one inch apart. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and lemon zest.

Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on cooling racks (eat a few while they are still warm) and store in an airtight container. Before serving, spread fig jam or lemon curd on top of the cookie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment