Short Bread

Short Bread

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Chicken Salad

Often times I try to put a little more effort into my lunches that I bring to work with me. I don’t want to eat frozen meals; I don’t know what kind of preservatives and such are put into them. I usually will make a little extra for dinner so I can bring some leftovers or I’ll make some kind of salad that I can bring for most days of the week.  This week I made the most amazing Chicken Salad that I have had in a long time. I got the recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs, Smitten Kitchen. The recipes are usually pretty simple and are always delicious. This one is no exception. It’s a Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad. I also try and use what ingredients I already have at home. Since I didn't have Tarragon Vinegar and did have White Wine Vinegar, I used that. I also didn't have fresh Tarragon so instead used some parsley. I highly recommend this one. I’ve been putting it on a mini wheat tortilla wrap with some lettuce. I only used two chicken breasts and it made enough for about six wraps.

A tip I actually found on Pinterest was a tip to help keep fresh herbs longer. It is to chop them all at once and put them in a Tupperware container to put into the freezer. It actually works, my fresh herbs do not get all moldy and definitely last much longer; plus fresh herbs just taste so much better when cooking!
Here is the link for the chicken salad and below is the recipe I used which is slightly different.


Cranberry-Walnut-Chicken-Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
2 chicken breasts baked with salt, pepper and olive oil. Cut into cubes.
2 to 3 handfuls of walnuts chopped
1/2 cup celery rib, diced into small pieces
1 small shallot finely chopped
2 handfuls of dried cranberries, chopped
3 large tablespoons of mayonnaise
3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Serve just the chicken salad as is, or on wheat tortilla, or on crackers would be delicious as well.








1 comment: