Short Bread

Short Bread

Monday, April 15, 2013

This isn’t meant to be a blog to complain about weight at all, but it’s just a note about me. I am no Skinny Minnie, but yet am not super large. However, I do have to work at it and watch what I eat and exercise regularly. It’s what people should do anyway right? But, I must in order to make sure I stay healthy. It’s not even so much for me to be thin as it is for me to stay healthy, in shape and active. Plus it helps with my mood…always!! When there are those days (or weeks) where I just want to bum around the apartment and eat salty chips or sweets, I remind myself of Newton’s Law of Motion, “an object in motion stays in motion and an object at rest stays at rest.” Of course this theory makes sense to me now and I could not understand it for the life of me when in school!  Anyway, if I want to live a long healthy life (which I do), I must keep active. I want to be one of those old grandmas in fifty years who can keep up and play with grandkids.  A quick 20 minute walk on days when I don’t have the time or motivation for the hour long workout works very well.
I’ve been doing Weight Watchers off and on for at least 10 years. It works! And, I love the recipes they have. I have about ten of their cookbooks and now everything is online and is so user friendly. Often, the recipes contain pretty simple and very fresh ingredients which help them taste wonderful! Even my fiancé will agree that it does not taste like diet food at all.
This is one of the recipes I came across a few months ago on the Weight Watcher website. I made it the original way the first time and since then have mixed up the vegetables and meat I put in it. Last time I put some cut up ham from Easter dinner, spinach, and mushrooms in it…yum!!! And, btw Phyllo dough is super fun to use! I want to try and make more things with it. Plus, a little of it seems to go a very long way; it keeps in the freezer till the next time I need to use it. I’ve been making it recently on Sundays and putting slices into Tupperware to take and heat up for breakfast for the work week. It actually tastes pretty good re-heated and is a low carb, healthy option for the morning.


Phyllo Dough Quiche
2 sheet(s) phyllo dough, cut into three strips each   
3 large egg(s)   
1/4 cup(s) regular egg substitute   
1 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk   
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour   
1/4 tsp table salt   .
1/4 tsp black pepper   
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg   
1/2 cup(s) (shredded) low-fat hard cheese, Swiss, grated   
4oz cooked crisp turkey bacon, diced   
Directions
-       Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
-       Lay phyllo dough in pie plate, one piece at a time, coating each layer with cooking spray — dough should cover bottom and sides of dish. Fold in any overhanging corners.
-       Whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
-       Sprinkle cheese and bacon (or any other vegetables you have cut up) over phyllo dough. Pour in egg mixture and place quiche on a baking sheet. Bake until firm, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool at least 5 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment